At Cudham we endeavour to create a love for reading and know that the benefits of being able to read to a high standard is one of the most important things in a child’s life. We want every child to leave Cudham with the skills of an excellent reader. We aim to create and inspire readers who have :
• Fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum
• Knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
• An excellent comprehension of texts.
• Love reading for pleasure and discuss a range of authors and different text types.
• Enjoy using books for research and study.
• Build up core knowledge through having read a rich and varied range of texts.
From the minute children enter Cudham they will be exposed to a love of reading. Phonetic knowledge is developed through structured daily lessons in EYFS and KS1 which allows children to apply their phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words. High quality books are used to support the children’s developing reading abilities.
As they develop into confident readers, children develop their comprehension skills through a range of techniques including guided reading, small group reading and 1:1 reading. The children learn to draw inferences from reading; predict details about what may happen in the text; question and retrieve information from a range of different text types and summarise the key events of what they have read.